Directorate of Undergraduate Education
The Directorate of Undergraduate Education coordinate all matters related to provision of undergraduate education. Specifically, it deals with marketing for undergraduate programmes, processing student admissions, managing examination results and disposal of candidates, facilitation of student research, formulation and processing of new undergraduate programmes, coordination of curriculum reviews and other related functions.
Functions of the Directorate
The Directorate is responsible for coordinating undergraduate academic issues requiring SENATE approval from School and lower organs in the University. These include:
- The entire undergraduate admission process (advertisement, selection, admission and registration)
- All matters pertaining to Undergraduate examinations, including submission, through DVC-ARC, for approval by SENATE of examination results.
- Formulate and periodically update operational policies and procedures for introducing new academic programmes and courses at the university.
- Coordinate development of new undergraduate programmes and courses including their submission through DVC-ARC to SENATE for approval.
- Coordinate revision, where necessary, of existing undergraduate programmes and courses including their submission through DVC-ARC to SENATE for approval. This should include regular mounting of tracer studies followed by curriculum review.
- Formulate and periodically update the requisite operational policies and procedures for the review of undergraduate programmes.
- Formulate operational policies and procedures governing inter-school/institute teaching and allocation of resources to maintain such teaching.
- Ensure optimum utilization of teaching staff and learning space through coordination of inter- school/institute teaching, rationalization of courses across schools/institutes and central time tabling.
- Coordinate appraisal of teaching load of departments and advise the DV C-ARC accordingly on the recruitment needs of departments for academic, technical and administrative staff.
- Assist schools to coordinate practical training and field/research project courses, including preparation of budgets for the same for submission to Government through the Bursar’s Office.
- Establish, maintain and periodically update an Alumni Information Management System.
- Market MUHAS undergraduate programmes to potential clients.
- Establish, maintain and periodically update a Student Information Management System.
- Advice DVC-ARC on all matters pertaining to strategic, institutional and academic planning with respect to undergraduate Education, including consequential changes in the non-academic areas.